Total Pageviews

Friday 3 July 2015

The Wiz....Friday 3rd July 2015

Hello Friends!

Hope you are all well and those of you in the UK didn't get over-heated on  Wednesday, I was supposed to be at a work event and then I had the chance to take part in a working morning with a volunteer group  I've joined....the event got cancelled and by then it was too late to go out with the group. I'll tell you more about the group in a future post...but it is nothing to do with craft...it's conservation and a certain type of wildlife.

In the end I was quite pleased to be home....I shared my time between a few hours in the craft room and several more out in the 'craft shed'...by the afternoon the hens were panting, especially the youngest one. I put extra water all over the place in shady spots and gave  them cucumber and melon, which cooled them down a bit, otherwise they found shady areas under trees in  the garden and led down. By the evening they were fine. I've not seen them get that hot before, there is lots of shade so plenty of places to hide.

Wizard of Oz cards

It occurred to me that I haven't shared the project my group of ladies did at our last workshop. This was our annual special one for the local Chipping Sodbury Festival and the theme this year was 'Musicals', so we decided to use some Visible Image stamps and make a card with a Wizard of Oz theme..

This was the card my group made...an easel card featuring the Dorothy, red shoes and sentiment stamps.

I used a polka dot mask on the top layer, ran through the embossing machine, inked it with  Vintage Photo distress ink and then used Promarkers to colour the dots as a 'nod' to the rainbow.

I stamped the image, dusted with clear embossing powder and heat embossed and they drew a cloud shape, cut out and inked with  salty ocean distress ink.

As I don't own a brick road stamp, I decided to use to brick wall mask: I inked it through with a mix of wild honey and mustard seed distress inks, cut into a winding road shape and inked the edges with vintage photo.

I coloured Dorothy using my Intense pencils and cut her out. For the flowers I used a punch. I stamped the shoes on to matt metallic silver card using versamark ink and heat embossed with red glitter.


  All the ladies said they really enjoyed making it...




I thought I may as well show you the other demo cards I'd made in the same post...

The first one just uses the shoes, decorated in the same way as above. It's a CAS card, just using the gingham we associate with Dorothy's dress.



I think the next one is may favourite except for the road....I couldn't get the mask to look right with the scene, so I used a path from my Lavinia Stamps collection (it is yellower in reality than the photo) and it's okay, but not really what we associate with the movie. I used Promarkers to colour Dorothy on this one  and made the little 'hills' in the grass using masks made from paper. The grass stamp is by Stampscapes and the tree with hearts is  by Dreamees.

It wasn't until I had put it all together and looked at it that I realised I'd forgotten the rainbow! Then I painted one in using the watercolour pencils, but the card wouldn't take the water, so it looked messy...I had no choice but to take a scrap of watercolour card, paint the rainbow on that and fix it over my splodgy mess!!


Before I finish today, I want to say that I had a lovely surprise when I logged on yesterday...one of my long time and lovely blog friends, Sandee Sentiff has decided to do a weekly shout out for those followers who leave regular comments and I was her first choice. Sandee is an artist, with a big heart and great inspiration, do pop over and have a look at her beautiful creations.



Thank you very much for stopping by, I always appreciate your visits!

Love and Hugs
Carole X

12 comments:

  1. What a great theme and what a beautiful card Carole! I think I would still be scratching my head on this one but your card is superb, you transported me right back to the story.... I love it! I feel a little bad because I have not visited Sandee for such a long time now.... I must make amends! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole,
    what a super theme for your ladies.
    Fantastic creations made at their class.
    I too would have trouble coping with this theme.
    Not good with this hot weather, and thank goodness I'm retired, as I remember all to well working in extremes of heat.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cards Carole, interesting theme too. Take care and happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great theme Carole!! Love the yellow brick road on that first card, and your red glitter on the shoes was a brilliant addition! So much fun! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Wizard of Oz cards, I need to make some too, but mine won't be as fun as yours! Those poor chickens! Maybe some ice packs for them to lay on, I mean I know you spoil them already, so why not a refrigerated room? hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carole all your cards are gorgeous I do love those stamps from Visible Image. It sounds like you had a good day in the end. I am looking forward to hearing about your new group it sounds interesting. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Carole,
    Lovely card, bet your group enjoyed making them.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such fun designs Carole. Just adore the easel design with the pathway running through. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carole - me again! these are amazing and I just love how you have made the yellow brick road. That brick mask is perfect for the job. Great cards - oh and I love her shoes! So glad the girls found somewhere shady and enjoyed their cucumber and melon - the thought of that just brings a smile to my face - bless 'em.

    Hugs to you Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello dear friend: see that you are enjoying summer, here busy but Ok
    lovely easel card
    warm hello from sunny california
    bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carole

    A catch up at last .. .. and what a lovely treat.

    I have really enjoyed looking back on all the crafty projects you have been working on. All so very different to each other.

    I particularly love the post with the renovated bench! I looks beautiful and makes the approach to your home look so welcoming and special. You must be really proud of it.

    Life here has been super busy wedding wise and left me with hardly any time for blog posting and visiting. But thank you for your visits and comments - I do appreciate them.

    Hope you have had a good weekend.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Wizard of Oz and these cards are absolutely gorgeous! Such fun and beautiful designs.
    Rebecca.
    x

    ReplyDelete