Total Pageviews

Saturday 9 November 2013

Fantastic Ribbons DT Project: California Dreamin' - Saturday 9th November

Good Morning Friends,

My post today is my Fantastic Ribbons project for November: The lovely folk at Fantastic Ribbons gave me some very vibrant colours to 'play' with, so I'm going to bring you a taste of summer on a cold winter's day...


Fantastic Ribbons Design Team project November: Pleats, Stitches, Ruffles


With the emphasis on Home Decor we were asked to use pleats, stitches and/or ruffles in our projects. With quite bright summery shades to use, I looked back to our holidays this year and did a bit of California Dreaming.

For my first project, I chose my favourite holiday photo of Tom and I, taken in a wine tasting room, Casa Dumetz, where we had two fun evenings.



This is a small, but vibrant, colourful tasting room with such a welcoming, friendly, atmosphere and was for sure, a centre of community activity and gathering in a very small town. The labels for some of their wines reflect their sense of fun: pink, orange and purple blossoms, so these summer colours seemed to suit.

I decided to make a photo frame: the base is  simply cardboard, which I covered back and front with calico to create an off-white base layer. I printed the photo to 6x4 and matted and layered it on card, matching the ribbons as much as possible.

Next I wrapped a pink, yellow and orange ribbon around each side of the photo and made two little ruffles by stitching the ribbon lengthwise and gathering the stitches inward to pull the ends together. For the wider, pink ribbon I just layered loops of ribbon and stitched to make a half flower. I was going to add buttons, but instead I made wine bottle buttons from photos of wine bottles from the bar. 

Oh and the wine? Fabulous!

My second project is a photo memory ring..my regular followers will know how much I love to decorate wreaths! This is a bit different, as it's a way to display photos that are easily interchangeable by using little pegs to clip them on. It's colours make it definitely one for summer holidays, but in different colours it could reflect Christmas or other special occasions.

I used a foam ring, the type you can get in any craft shop and covered it with torn papers using modge podge to make them more malleable and stick to the ring, as well as give it a slight gloss. Once it had dried I added the ribbon ruffles (the same as for my previous project), a few pegs and a ribbon loop hanger which is secured to the foam with hat pins.




Finally I added the photos..I wanted this to be a 'people' memory ring, photos of my family over in the USA...



The photos are cut quite small, but could be smaller, so I didn't add too many and risk 'swamping' it.

I hope you like this idea for displaying your favourite photos! All the ribbons are available from Fantastic Ribbons

Thanks for stopping by!

Love and Hugs,
Carole X

5 comments:

  1. Hi Carole,
    Two lovely projects. Very colourful needed on the dark damp mornings.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole,
    these creations are fabulous. Love the photo frame such pretty shades of ribbon.Reminds me of Caley or sherbert as they now call it. Trust me to think of food. lol. Love the memory wreath also what a great idea, may have a go at that one.
    Have a wonderful crafty weekend.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant creations Carole, love how you picked up the colours of the photo in the first one and I love the way you have turned the wreath into a photo holder - you always have such clever ideas! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two wonderful creations Carole. And what fabulous holiday reminders! Love and hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant a projects, I just LOVE that wreath what a fantastic idea
    Hugs

    Patricianxxx

    ReplyDelete