Total Pageviews

Wednesday 29 February 2012

'Steampunk' dreams - 29th February

Morning,


As I've said before, I'm intrigued by the world of Steampunk, especially the models and art, but I haven't real ventured into the world of Steampunk cards. My main reason for this is because most of my cards are either commissions or for sale in my husband's office or craft fairs...and I just know that unfortunately Steampunk won't sell to the general public.Of course there is the other consideration: I'm very 'girly' in my card making! It is very  out of my 'comfort' zone, as I do love girly florals...but I have to say, ask me to make Steampunk over a male sports/car related card any day :D


I have two attempts at breaking into this new world of art for me this week..the first one is quite girly and I'm not sure if it should be classed as  Steampunk really. I guess it's Vintage Grunge with a twist (!) ....and the next one (tomorrow) is for the men... 




This is again 8x8...I love square, as if you are a regular visitor, you have probably noticed!


My base layer is silver mirror card sanded quite roughly. This type of card will only give a scratched surface, but that's ok, I wanted a rough and ready look. I matted and layered this with black card and then embossed a smaller rectangle  of silver card with  a floral mask through the Grand Calibur. I had enough left of the dress forms card I had printed from my MCS Fab 50's  for an earlier project, so I used this as  a base layer for the pink vellum that I had embossed with the Couture Creations Vintage Dressmaker Embossing Folder (the new addition to my craft room for this card!). I think it is gorgeous. Once I'd put it through the Cuttlebug, I sanded it to bring out the texture even more.


To finish off the card I used Spellbinder dies, brads, embellishments and lace from stash and my ribbon box. One thing I am discovering about Steampunk is that it's a good way to find uses for little embellishments that have been hiding at the bottom of a box for a long time.


The black layer looked a little bare, so I finished off with faux pearls using Cosmic Shimmer Silver Lustre.  


Carole X


Used for this project;


8x8 card blank
black card
pink vellum
Couture Creations Vintage Dressmaker Embossing Folder
Spellbinders: Cuckoo Clock, Fanciful Flight
Creative Expressions mint bolts brads
That Special Touch of...Mask
Cosmic Shimmer Silver Lustre PVA
lace, embellishments from stash

No comments:

Post a Comment