Total Pageviews

Saturday 24 November 2012

Vintage Ice Skates - Saturday 24th November

Good Morning blog friends,

Thank you for all your lovely comments yesterday! And welcome to my new follower Anne - we found each other through Wilma and through both of us having the same posting problem - I hope you are sorted as well Anne, love your blog!

 Today I have a 'make' for you! 

For the new Emergency Crafters challenge, the design team was given the remit to make anything - and that is the theme of the new challenge, so if you have anything you've made.... from a card to some knitting, a page layout to a sewn item, why not hop over and enter...there's a super prize up for grabs.

You know I like grungy, steampunk and vintage...well I don't think ice skates can pass for steampunk, but I loved the pattern from these grungy, vintage, almost 'primitive' ice skates when I got it a few years ago from a US primitive/country pattern site called Country Whims.  I do love making this type of project and when we get the decoration box down from the attic, I will photograph and share the snowmen I've made. After I bought this pattern I'm sorry to say that I promptly put it in my pattern box and never got round to making it until now!



The boots are made from cotton batting and after sewing them, I distressed them with some tea dye and Vintage Photo distress inks, to make them even more vintage and old looking. The laces are made from cotton, which I also inked to get really dark. The blades,which I'm sorry you can't see well in the picture, are made from rusty wire and after stuffing the boots to half way with some old material scraps, I added quite large rusty bells and filled the tops of the boots with angel hair vine twigs.

To finish off I included a muslin bag (which should be filled with candy!): the bag is decorated with a red felt spellbinders poinsettia and a little sentiment tag.

No papercraft today, but something different and I hope you like it!

My friend Trish and I had a lovely day in Bath yesterday, the sun shone and the Christmas Craft market was bustling and full of delightful gifts.I just 'window shopped' this time, I am due back there in a few weeks, so may get some goodies! My dear blog friend Oksana asked for some photos so here are a few of the market and also the River Avon, which in part had risen above the banks and closed the footpaths. In the photo I have taken there is usually a weir, but that is hidden beneath the water.

Bath Christmas Market



Swollen River Avon flowing under Pultney Bridge



Aren't these markets lovely? Bath's is the biggest one close to us, but I also love going to the Cirencester one...Oksana mentioned Manchester - do you have any near to you? I've been to one in Birmingham and that was huge!

Thanks for stopping by!
Carole X

9 comments:

  1. Hi Carole, I adore the ice skates, so funky, the market look interesting, how did you just window shop, I would have to buy something.

    Wilma x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great Carole! I love them. It's actually rather nice to see diferent things on the blogs. Glad you enjoyed your trip to the Christmas Market. I'm hoping to get off to the Christmas Market in Birmingham which is just fabulous!!!A few friends and I went a couple of years ago and had a wonderful time. It was even better when it started to get dark - and the gorgeous smells! Of course, we had to taste the glüwein.... John and I went to Birmingham the other day but it was not possible to go into the centre. And I'm sure, much as I love him, I would have much more fun with the girls! Have a good day. Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely fantastic, i love, love, love them.
    Have not been to Bath for quite a few years and never at this time of year.
    Glad you and your friend had such a good day. It is great do things like that now and again.
    Happy Crafting

    Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Carole, these are wonderful, I love them! You are so creative. Thanks for the photos, looks like you had perfect weather yesterday for your day out. I will take some photos of the Manchester markets when I visit them for you also. Enjoy the weekend. Oksana x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carole, the ice skates are fabulous, love the way you have distressed them. Always nice to see something a bit different too (still love seeing your chickens). We have a great German market in Manchester which is huge, not been yet though... Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carole,
    well this is different. Lovely idea for this time of year. So superbly made and photographed.
    I did come to Bath with my sisters at Christmas about 5 years ago, and my one sister who has a Birthday in December, her daughter takes her there for a Birthday treat every year.
    I have only encountered one market like this and that was at Christmas just outside the entrance to Disney Land Paris.
    Have a wonderful crafty evening.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning ski`s so different ,we have Xmas christmas market`s in canterbury ,but never been ,Have been to the summer one which if french ,Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carole

    Oh I love those boots .. .. they look great. I keep looking at them!!! LOL!!!

    It looks like you had a good time in Bath.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carole - love your skates! They certainly look a darn sight more comfortable that the ones you rent at the rink! They are so cut and I love the finishing touches of the bell and the twiggly bits in the tops!

    The market looks good as well - you were asking whether there were any near us - and I am glad to report we usually have one in the Market Square in Nottingham. I could smell the lovely 'whiffs' from the mulled wine etc when I was looking at your pics!

    Hugs to you Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete