Total Pageviews

Friday 2 March 2012

Nautical Journey - 2nd March

Morning!


This is the last of my \mixing old with new\ set of cards: I was recently tempted by Sam Poole's latest set of stamps with a sea-faring theme. Like the Vintage Inventor, it was once again a step in a different direction for me, but I do like to add a mixture of images to my crafty arsenal and I view good stamps as an investment, which will give me years of value if treated well. 


The 'new' on this card is a Spellbinders die! Last week when  Sue Wilson was demo-ing on Create and Craft, I bought one of the offers as my birthday present from my husband (it's okay my birthday is in March!). I have dispensation to carry on and use them as well! I was really tempted by Sue Wilson's own design. I think they are lovely and they are on my wish list, but this time I went for the bundle that included flowers,  romantic rectangles, antique frames, buckles and M-bossibilites. I have them now and have used the first one on this card...


Again this is an 8x8 layout, starting with a layer of black card. I then used the Debbi Moore's Shabby Chique Vintage Travel CD to print off a faded map backing paper on to cream card and I distressed this quite heavily with Vintage Photo ink. It almost looks burnt  and is the base layer for the ship's journey.


I matted and layered this over the black card, cutting it slightly smaller and added the other elements.


The map, ship, steering wheel and small compass were all stamped from Sam Poole's  Nautical Journey stamp set and given the same treatment. I mostly distressed the edges of the map, just enough to give it an old parchment look and then I curled the edges inward. The ship was layered over the map and I wanted it to stand out, so I gave that a more intense colouring. I also fixed both of them to the card with Pinflair to give them more 'lift' and curl.


The sentiment oval and larger compass were both printed from the CD and again distressed and I added vintage brown ribbon to the bottom with a die-cut buckle (which distressed in this way I think actually looks like a piece of coral or something you would find beneath the ocean). The little pearl dots at the top are Cosmic Shimmer Olympic Gold


There is one bit of 'colour' on this card. I found it when I was rummaging through my stash box -  it's a piece of stampbord that I had  stamped a compass on some time ago. It was already complete as a topper; I'd added the rope and the colour. So I tried it on the card, thinking I wasn't going to like it -but I think it works, so it has stayed!


Looking at the photo and the actual card, I noticed something quite odd..all to do with angles and bad photography I guess..on the card the little compass & wheel do not look like they are encroaching on the sentiment...honest!


Thanks for checking out my blog!


Carole X


For this card I used:


8x8 card blank; black card, cream card
Ddebbi Moore's Shabby Chic Vintage Travel CD
Sam Poole's Nautical Journey stamp set
Spellbinders Ribbon Buckles Shapeability die
Vintage Photo distress ink
Stampbord stamped with compass stamp
Cosmic Shimmer Olympic Gold
Pinflair Glue

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carole, thank you for sharing this lovely card. The colours are gorgeous and I love the spellbinders buckle too, Thanks Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comments - much appreciated X

    ReplyDelete